AMRI compensation case: Historic judgement, says Dr Kunal Saha
Kolkata: US-based Indian-origin doctor Dr Kunal Saha on Thursday described the Supreme Court awarding a compensation of Rs 5.96 crore for medical negligence which led to his wife`s death, as a "historic judgement that will have a major impact on standard of medical care in India."
Terming the judgement as "historic", Saha said in an email from USA that this "will have major impact on medical negligence and standard of medical care in India."
"This will send a strong message to all negligent doctors and unscrupulous hospitals that are reaping (sic) innocent patients everyday across India," he said.
"Today’s verdict is also likely to increase the value of every human life in India," Saha, who founded People for Better Treatment to fight against medical negligence," he said.
The Supreme Court today awarded a whopping Rs 5.96 crore as compensation to be paid by city-based AMRI Hospital and three doctors to Saha for medical negligence which led to the death of his wife Anuradha in 1998.
Incidentally, AMRI Hospital at Dhakuria, where Anuradha was treated, has been closed since a fire gutted one of its buildings killing 93 people, most of whom were patients, on December nine, 2011.
An AMRI official, when contacted, refused to comment saying they were yet to receive a copy of the order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family