AMRI fire: Volunteers to be felicitated
Kolkata: The West Bengal government will
felicitate 25 volunteers who had risked their lives while
trying to rescue people from the devastating fire at AMRI
Hospital here, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said on Sunday.
"We have prepared a list of 25 local people who have
helped evacuate the patients. We will felicitate them,"
Banerjee told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
The incident had left her "sorry and ashamed", she said,
adding she would be present at a memorial function tomorrow in
front of the fire-ravaged building in south Kolkata`s
Meanwhile, Trinamool Congress has cancelled its rally here
tomorrow on the occasion of the completion of 200 days of the
Mamata Banerjee-led government, party sources said.
They said the party will organise a candlelight procession
tomorrow evening to express grief and anguish at the loss of
lives in Friday`s devastating fire.
The sources said the procession would originate from Birla
Planetarium to the Gandhi statue and indicated that Banerjee
might take part in the procession.
Meanwhile, interrogation of the arrested directors of
AMRI hospital in connection with the disaster was on, police
However, sleuths of city police Detective Department
remained tight lipped on the outcome of the interrogation.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Damayanti Sen earlier
said that members of the hospital board including leading
industrialist SK Todi, RS Goenka, Ravi Todi, Manish Goenka,
Prasanta Goenka and Dayananda Agarwal have been arrested.
RS Agarwal, another board member who was undergoing
treatment at the hospital, was also put under arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal