AMRI staff beat up journalists, two arrested
Kolkata: A section of staff of AMRI hospital, where 93 people suffocated to death following a devastating fire, on Tuesday beat up journalists alleging that they were showing the hospital in bad light leading to the arrest of two of the members.
"Two staff members of AMRI have been arrested on charges
of manhandling journalists," JCP (headquarters) of Kolkata
Police Jawed Shamim said.
The two - Tapan Naskar and D N Roy would be produced in
court tomorrow, he said.
The journalists had gone to cover Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee`s visit this morning to the hospital and were beaten
up after she left the premises.
Banerjee, who made a surprise visit to AMRI Hospital this
morning, was greeted with angry protests from employees of the
hospital fearing loss of jobs due to cancellation of licence
after the fire tragedy.
She scoffed at them saying they do not have any regret
even after so many lives were lost in the incident.
"What can I do if their jobs are lost? It is the
responsibility of the hospital administration," she said.
The licence of the hospital`s Dhakuria unit, where the
devastation took place on Friday, has been cancelled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?