Another chit-fund company agent commits suicide in WB
Barasat (WB): A chit-fund company agent who had consumed poison died on Tuesday in North 24 Parganas district taking the number of agents and depositors who committed suicide after the Saradha Group went bust to nine.
Mrinal Kanti Mondal (42) of Sangrampur village under Basirhat police station an agent of a chit fund company was under severe pressure from depositors who were demanding that he should refund their money, police sources said.
Unable to repay the depositors Mondal consumed poison on Sunday night and today he died in hospital, the sources added.
Yesterday Jagadish Roy, the 60-year-old father of a chit fund company agent Bidhan Roy committed suicide by hanging at his home in Rishi Bankim Gar colony at Sodepur in North 24 Parganas distressed over his son`s inability to repay money to investors and also after he was publicly humiliated by the depositors.
On May 3 Ranjit Pramanik (18) who had invested heavily in the collapsed Saradha Group had committed suicide by consuming poison at Thakurchawk in the Joynagar area of South 24-Parganas district.
On April 20, 50-year-old Urmila Pramanik, a resident of Baruipur in South 24 Parganas district, who had invested Rs 30,000 in the Saradha group, had set herself on fire. She succumbed to her injuries the next day in the Chittaranjan Hospital in Kolkata.
Swapan Kumar Biswas (36), a money collection agent of the Saradha group who had deposited Rs four lakh from his personal savings in the scam-ridden company, was found hanging from the ceiling of his house at Balrampur in Purulia district on April 27.
Three agents of the Saradha group also committed suicide at Mathurapur, Diamond Harbour and Falta in South 24-Parganas district after the company went bust.
The unfolding chit fund scandal also drove the owner of such a company, a hotelier, to take his own life in South 24-Parganas district on May 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...