Another Congress MLA switches over to Trinamool
Kolkata: The Congress in West Bengal on Monday continued to suffer defection blows as yet another party MLA, the fourth in the past one year, joined the ruling Trinamool Congress.
Congress MLA Saumitra Khan from Bankura`s Kotulpur today switched sides to the TMC.
TMC general secretary Mukul Roy welcomed the first-time legislator into the party fold at a function here and said, "People from all over the state are joining the party".
Along with Khan, other workers of youth Congress from Asansol, Jalpaiguri and Junglemahal area also joined the party at the programme.
In the past few months, three other Congress MLAs - Humayun Kabir of Rejinagar constituency in Murshidabad district, Krishnendu Narayan Chowdhury of Englishbazar in Malda district and Ajoy Dey of Shantipur in Nadia district have switched allegiance to the Trinamool.
Dey, a five-time Congress MLA resigned from the Assembly a few days ago.
Since August, several opposition councillors in more than a dozen municipalities, mostly run by the Congress, have switched sides to the TMC enabling the party to gain control over them.
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- '10% rise in China apparel prices to create 1.2 million Indian jobs'
- Sensitive people more vulnerable to online dating scams
- 40 cities to be selected in second round of smart city project: Govt
- Archery World Cup: Deepika Kumari makes quarterfinal exit as no Indian left in individual events
- Vedanta posts Q4 loss of Rs 11,181 crore on impairment charge