Another Congress MLA switches over to Trinamool
Kolkata: The Congress in West Bengal on Monday continued to suffer defection blows as yet another party MLA, the fourth in the past one year, joined the ruling Trinamool Congress.
Congress MLA Saumitra Khan from Bankura`s Kotulpur today switched sides to the TMC.
TMC general secretary Mukul Roy welcomed the first-time legislator into the party fold at a function here and said, "People from all over the state are joining the party".
Along with Khan, other workers of youth Congress from Asansol, Jalpaiguri and Junglemahal area also joined the party at the programme.
In the past few months, three other Congress MLAs - Humayun Kabir of Rejinagar constituency in Murshidabad district, Krishnendu Narayan Chowdhury of Englishbazar in Malda district and Ajoy Dey of Shantipur in Nadia district have switched allegiance to the Trinamool.
Dey, a five-time Congress MLA resigned from the Assembly a few days ago.
Since August, several opposition councillors in more than a dozen municipalities, mostly run by the Congress, have switched sides to the TMC enabling the party to gain control over them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- Have you ever encountered death? These people did and were lucky to survive it – Watch
- Badaun re-run? Teenage girl murdered after gang-rape, body hanged from tree in UP
- Teen sensation Marcus Rashford signs bumper long-term contract at Manchester United: Reports
- Mexican soccer star Alan Pulido kidnapped in border state
- Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis pair crashes out of French Open