Another constituent quits GJM-led platform
Darjeeling: In another blow to the GJM-led eight party platform in Darjeeling, a constituent quit, saying its demand was not Gorkhaland, on the eve of the crucial GJAC meeting on Friday which was to announce the way forward for the indefinite shut down in the hills.
Nima Lama, president of the constituent, Gorkha Rashtriya Congress, informed the GJM-led Gorkha Joint Action Committee, "We realised that it was a wrong platform for us, because our demand is not Gorkhaland. We have been fighting for the unification of Darjeeling with Sikkim."
It was the second constituent to quit after the All India Gorkha League walked out on August 17 on the demand that the GJM resign from the hill council, Gorkhaland Territorial Administration, just a day after the formation of the GJAC.
GJM president Bimal Gurung had said three days ago that the Gorkhaland agitation would be continued, even if it was to be carried on by the outfit alone.
In a Facebook post he had said yesterday, "Gorkhaland and Bimal Gurung is synonymous. The day I leave Gorkhaland it would mean my life would end. Separation from Bengal is my ultimate goal."
A day earlier he had, however, said "I will not demand Gorkhaland. We will demand something else."
The seven remaining constituents of the GJAC were GJM, BJP, Gorkha Taskforce, CPRM, Bharatiya Gorkha Rashtriya Parisangh, Gorkha Rashtriya Nirman and Akhil Bharatiya Gorkha League.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state