Another farmer commits suicide in WB
Burdwan (WB): A farmer allegedly committed
suicide here by consuming poison due to crop loss and mounting
debts, official sources said on Sunday.
Amiya Saha (45) was found last night in his field after he
had consumed pesticide, the sources said.
He was rushed to Burdwan Medical College hospital in a
serious condition, where he succumbed, they said.
Saha`s family sources said that "he had taken loans at
high rate of interest for potato cultivation and was also
unable to sell his paddy harvest."
"He was depressed for the last few days as he failed to
sell his paddy harvest, and also his potato crop on eight
bigha land suffered damage," Saha`s wife Jharna said.
The police and civil administration said Saha`s family is
claiming that he committed suicide due to crop loss and
mounting debts, and are investigating the matter.
On December 20, another farmer Barun Pal (42) of Bhatar
had committed suicide by consuming pesticide in this district,
which is considered the rice bowl of West Bengal, after his
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says