Another farmer death in Burdwan
Burdwan (WB): In yet another case of
farmer `suicide`, the body of a cultivator was found hanging
at Purbasthali in Burdwan district last night.
Official sources said the death of Tapas Majhi (45),
who owned several acres of land and was a share cropper, was
not caused by monetary factors.
However, the bereaved family attributed it to mounting
debt due to unsold paddy and the loss in vegetable farming
caused by continued unseasonal rains till early this week.
Majhi had gone out of home last afternoon and the
family recovered the body hanging from a tree behind a party
office hours later, the sources said.
A case of unnatural death has been registered at local
police station but the family in a written complaint claimed
he had committed suicide driven by acute depression.
Fifteen farmers had killed themselves in the district
since last year, with three deaths having taken place this
The three farmer deaths in this year took place at
Memari, Bhatar and now Purbasthali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah