Another farmer death in Burdwan
Burdwan (WB): In yet another case of
farmer `suicide`, the body of a cultivator was found hanging
at Purbasthali in Burdwan district last night.
Official sources said the death of Tapas Majhi (45),
who owned several acres of land and was a share cropper, was
not caused by monetary factors.
However, the bereaved family attributed it to mounting
debt due to unsold paddy and the loss in vegetable farming
caused by continued unseasonal rains till early this week.
Majhi had gone out of home last afternoon and the
family recovered the body hanging from a tree behind a party
office hours later, the sources said.
A case of unnatural death has been registered at local
police station but the family in a written complaint claimed
he had committed suicide driven by acute depression.
Fifteen farmers had killed themselves in the district
since last year, with three deaths having taken place this
The three farmer deaths in this year took place at
Memari, Bhatar and now Purbasthali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling