Another farmer death in Burdwan
Burdwan (WB): In yet another case of
farmer `suicide`, the body of a cultivator was found hanging
at Purbasthali in Burdwan district last night.
Official sources said the death of Tapas Majhi (45),
who owned several acres of land and was a share cropper, was
not caused by monetary factors.
However, the bereaved family attributed it to mounting
debt due to unsold paddy and the loss in vegetable farming
caused by continued unseasonal rains till early this week.
Majhi had gone out of home last afternoon and the
family recovered the body hanging from a tree behind a party
office hours later, the sources said.
A case of unnatural death has been registered at local
police station but the family in a written complaint claimed
he had committed suicide driven by acute depression.
Fifteen farmers had killed themselves in the district
since last year, with three deaths having taken place this
The three farmer deaths in this year took place at
Memari, Bhatar and now Purbasthali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Hiring in FY'17 may be lower: NASSCOM
- '27 saal UP behaal': Congress announces 3-day bus yatra from Delhi to Kanpur
- Pacts to maintain peace along Indo-China border must be respected: Beijing
- Police in Florida shoot black man lying on ground
- 122 pilots failed alcohol tests between 2013 and June 2016:Government