Another gang-rape in West Bengal, 20-year old tribal woman critical
Suri: A 20-year old tribal woman was allegedly gang-raped at Labhpur in Birbhum district by 13 persons as they were apparently against her affair with a man from a different community.
Police said all the 13 accused have been arrested while the woman is in a very critical condition at Suri Hospital after her rape on Tuesday night.
The woman`s family filed a complaint with the Labhpur police station that the incident happened following a meeting by her community leaders who decided to mete out the `punishment` for her `crime` of being in love with someone outside her community.
Refusing to give details, ASP Prashanta Chowdhury said "prima facie, she was gang-raped and we have rounded up 13 persons. No more details."
The youth with whom the girl reportedly had an affair has also been arrested apart from the 13 locals who have been slapped with charges of gang-rape and causing grievous injury to a woman, police sources said. The charges against the youth are not clear.
A section of locals told the media the incident took place after a kangaroo court of tribals gave the shocking `verdict` but this could not be officially confirmed.
A teenaged tribal girl was paraded naked in the district four years ago for the same reason, which had sparked an outrage in the state and women`s organisations were up in arms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam