Another Netai massacre accused held from Jharkhand
Jhargram: West Bengal police have arrested from Jharkhand the absconding CPI(M) leader Anuj Pandey, an accused of the infamous Netai massacre case of 2011, in which CPI(M) activists allegedly fired upon villagers killing nine persons in West Midnapore district.
CID Special Superintendent Bharati Ghosh said Pandey, CPI(M)`s Binpur zonal committee secretary, was arrested from Chandrapura in Bokaro district of Jharkhand yesterday.
CID had produced Pandey before a Bokaro court and obtained a transit remand for him. He would be produced before a court in Burdwan district in West Bengal later in the day, she said.
With Anuj Pandey`s arrest, altogether six persons were taken into custody since April 30 when five more accused in the case were captured from a hideout in Hyderabad.
The five who were arrested from Hyderabad were Dalim Pandey (Anuj`s cousin), Rathin Dandapat from whose house the firing allegedly took place, Joydeb Giri, Tapan De and Md Khaliluddin. They were all local leaders of the CPI(M).
Of the 20 accused in the case, 18 have so far been arrested while two, Fullara Mandal and Chandi Karan, are still absconding.
Nine persons were killed in indiscriminate firing allegedly from Dandapat`s house at Netai village in West Midnapore district on January 7, 2011.
The Calcutta High Court had ordered a CBI inquiry into the massacre in February, 2011 expressing dissatisfaction with a CID probe then.
After the arrests in Hyderabad, Ghosh had said the five would be handed over to the CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah