Another Netai massacre accused held from Jharkhand
Jhargram: West Bengal police have arrested from Jharkhand the absconding CPI(M) leader Anuj Pandey, an accused of the infamous Netai massacre case of 2011, in which CPI(M) activists allegedly fired upon villagers killing nine persons in West Midnapore district.
CID Special Superintendent Bharati Ghosh said Pandey, CPI(M)`s Binpur zonal committee secretary, was arrested from Chandrapura in Bokaro district of Jharkhand yesterday.
CID had produced Pandey before a Bokaro court and obtained a transit remand for him. He would be produced before a court in Burdwan district in West Bengal later in the day, she said.
With Anuj Pandey`s arrest, altogether six persons were taken into custody since April 30 when five more accused in the case were captured from a hideout in Hyderabad.
The five who were arrested from Hyderabad were Dalim Pandey (Anuj`s cousin), Rathin Dandapat from whose house the firing allegedly took place, Joydeb Giri, Tapan De and Md Khaliluddin. They were all local leaders of the CPI(M).
Of the 20 accused in the case, 18 have so far been arrested while two, Fullara Mandal and Chandi Karan, are still absconding.
Nine persons were killed in indiscriminate firing allegedly from Dandapat`s house at Netai village in West Midnapore district on January 7, 2011.
The Calcutta High Court had ordered a CBI inquiry into the massacre in February, 2011 expressing dissatisfaction with a CID probe then.
After the arrests in Hyderabad, Ghosh had said the five would be handed over to the CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends