Another person arrested in Burdwan blast case

Amid calls for handing over the Burdwan blast probe to the National Investigation Agency, the CID on Monday made another arrest, taking the number of arrests in the case to three.

PTI| Updated: Oct 06, 2014, 21:43 PM IST

Burdwan/Kolkata: Amid calls for handing over the Burdwan blast probe to the National Investigation Agency, the CID on Monday made another arrest, taking the number of arrests in the case to three.

Hafez Mollah alias Hasan, who was picked up by the CID from his house at Khar Duttapa in Purbostholi, about 70 km from here yesterday, and the detained was formally arrested today, DIG (Operations), CID Dilip Adak said.

Mollah was remanded to 14 days' police custody by a local court here.

Two women were arrested yesterday in connection with the blast in which involvement of terror outfits like LeT and HuJI is being suspected.

The two, Rajira Bibi alias Rumi and Amina Bibi were remanded to police custody for nine days by a local court yesterday.

Two suspected terrorists Shakil Ahmed and Sovan Mandal were killed and another Hasan Saheb was injured in the explosion at Khagragarh in Burdwan district on October 2.

Burdwan Superintendent of Police S M H Mirza today said that the police was on the lookout for another suspect Abul Kalam, a resident of Mangalkote in the district.

The investigators are on his trail after they found seven calls made to him from a mobile phone immediately after the blast, he said, adding that the mobile phone from which the calls had been made were recovered from the house after the explosion.

The team is also looking for another man who used to frequent the Khagragarh house on a two-wheeler, the SP said.

The suspected terrorists had rented the house a few months back and the police had also questioned the house owner Hasan Chowdhury, Mirza said.

The BJP state unit today reiterated its demand for handing over the probe to the NIA and expressed fear that state agencies might cover up the case.

The party's national secretary, Siddharth Nath Singh claimed that the central government would put pressure on the state in this regard since the blast had international ramifications.