Another SI murder accused Sheikh Moktar arrested
Kolkata: Sheikh Moktar, one of the accused in the sub inspector killing case in violence in Garden Reach area in south-west part of city on February 12, was arrested this evening, a senior CID official said.
"We have arrested Sheikh Moktar from Howrah station area this evening. He was apprehended with one of his associates. He will be brought to the CID headquaters and interrogated," IG CID Vineet Goyal told a news agency.
Kolkata Police Sub-Inspector Tapas Choudhury was killed during violence between Congress and Trinamool supporters near a college in Garden Reach on February 12.
The detective department of the Kolkata Police had begun an investigation and arrested 12 people along with Sheikh Subhaan who had allegedly fired at the SI.
After West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan`s strong criticism of the violence and attack by political parties, the case was handed over to the CID of state police, in an unprecedented move.
Although the CID managed to arrest some of the accused named in the FIR, Congress leader Moktar and Trinamool Congress councilor Mohammed Iqbal had been absconding for days.
Iqbal is still at large.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- Newborn with Zika virus found infected 2 months after birth
- Govinda ala re! Bollywood wishes Happy Janmashtami to all—See inside
- This is how CPI-M countered BJP’s Janmashtami procession in Kerala
- Six killed, 25 injured in bus-truck collusion in China
- Rajnath Singh assures alternative to pellet guns in Kashmir; Mufti says stone-pelting, attacking security camps won't bring peace