`Anti-landmine vehicles in Midnapore cannot withstand high explosives`
Kolkata: The anti-landmine vehicles being used by the joint forces in anti-Maoist operations in West Midnapore district could not withstand high explosives just as the one which was blown up by ultras in Chhattisgarh`s Dantewada district, a senior police officer said on Friday.
The vehicles could not withstand blasts above 15 to 20 kg of explosives, while personnel inside find it difficult to exit in an emergency and take up position, he said.
Another problem was that the vehicles were not adapted
to negotiating `kutcha` roads, he said.
The vehicles were stationed in camps at Lalgarh, Kankrajhor, Burijhora, Neguria, Tarapheni and others.
"At present there are 14 anti-landmine vehicles in West Midnapore of which three belong to the West Bengal government and the remaining to the paramilitary forces," West Midnapore Superintendent of Police Manoj Kumar Verma told a news agency.
"There is one Mine Protected Vehicles (MPV) at
Belpahari police station which is big and spacious, but the
others are small and have a seating capacity of 12 to 15,"
The vehicles also need proper maintenance and there were some rules which need to followed in using them, Verma said.
Keeping the Dantewada massacre in mind, the Union Home Ministry has decided to replace the older MPVs with more sophisticated and higher capacity ones.
Union Home Minister P Chidambaram had said that public and private sector companies have an extremely limited capacity to manufacture them. A large number of MPVs, including 280 by the CRPF, have been ordered by the paramilitary forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly