Anxious Trinamool scurrying to CPI-M to woo back minorities: BJP
Kolkata: With West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee indicating her Trinamool Congress was not averse to the idea of a tie-up with the CPI-M, the BJP Saturday claimed the swaying of minority voters towards it has led to the ruling party scurrying to its traditional foes for survival.
State Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Rahul Sinha also claimed that the Trinamool was working towards a forgoing a formal alliance with former ally Congress and might have a tacit understanding with the Marxists for the 2016 Assembly polls to prevent BJP's ascent.
"Disillusioned by the Trinamool regime, a large section of the minority population is now looking up to the BJP. Already, 1.75 lakh people from the minority community have joined our party fold and this has made the Trinamool anxious and scurry to its foes," Sinha told media persons here.
"To stop the BJP, the Trinamool is working on formally aligning with the Congress and might have either an open or tacit understanding with the CPI-M for the 2016 polls," he claimed.
"We are not at all surprised, rather we welcome her decision to join hands with the CPI-M. People and her party workers will now realise that all her protests and fights against the CPI-M, which propelled her to power, was farce," said Sinha, referring to Banerjee's comments.
Averring that no one is "untouchable", Banerjee Friday said her Trinamool Congress would consider and discuss the matter if a proposal for a tie-up came from her long-time foe the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M).
Sinha also said that he has approached union Home Minister Rajnath Singh to seek adequate deployment of central paramilitary forces for the Sep 13 assembly by-election in Basirhat South and Chowringhee seats.
"In a detailed report I have given details of sensitive booths in both the constituencies and urged him that adequate security arrangements are made including deployment of adequate central paramilitary forces.
"Had the Election Commission performed its duties well and the Trinamool not resorted to its violent tactics, the results of the Lok Sabha polls would have been far different ... so we have urged him to ensure the scenario is not repeated during the bypolls," added Sinha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!