Arms seized, prohibitory orders in 2 Bengal districts
Kolkata: Prohibitory orders have been clamped in some areas of two West Bengal districts after villagers seized a huge cache of illegal arms from alleged CPI(M) workers since the Assembly poll results were declared, a top official said on Monday.
In West Midnapore district, Section 144 CrPc was imposed in Garbeta and Goaltore police station areas and police patrols have been intensified, District Magistrate Surendra Gupta said.
CPI(M) leader Sushanta Ghosh met the DM and demanded that measures be taken for the safety of Marxist workers and supporters in the district.
Police sources said that over 100 illegal arms, including muskets, were seized by villagers from alleged CPI(M) workers in Garbeta, Keshpur, Dantan and Salboni areas and handed over to the police.
In Hooghly district, Subdivisional Officer Arindam Neogi of Arambagh said that prohibitory orders were imposed on Arambagh, Goghat and Khankul police station areas.
CPI(M) district secretariat member of Arambagh, Benoy Dutta alleged that Trinamool Congress workers had vandalised 20 houses of Marxist supporters at Dulepara.
The Trinamool Congress, on the other hand, complained that there were arms in the house of a school headmistress at Bengari village.
In Bankura district, Superintendent of Police Pranab Kumar said that illegal arms had been seized in Bishnupur, Taldangra, Joypur and Kotulpur areas by villagers and the police.
Three companies of paramilitary forces were stationed in the areas and more would be sent, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack