Arrest of illegal migrants on Indo-Bangla border rises: BSF
Kolkata: The number of arrest of smugglers on the Indo-Bangla border has gone up this year, while that of death in firing has declined, BSF, which is celebrating its 48th Raising Day, said on Monday.
In 2013, 4879 illegal entrants and smugglers were arrested while the figures for 2012, 2011 and 2010 stood at 3470, 2683, and 2886, respectively, BSF Additional Director General, East, B D Sharma said.
Asked if the number of illegal migrants have increased because of political unrest in Bangladesh, Sharma replied, "No we don`t think so."
The seizure of fake currency, ganja and heroin has also gone up this year.
Fake currency notes with face value of around Rs 78,31,300, 6353 kg of ganja and 32.030 kg of heroin have been seized by the BSF on the Indo-Bangla border.
The number of deaths due to firing on the border by the BSF to prevent smuggling and illegal migration, however, has come down to 15 in the first 10 months of 2013 in comparison to 26 last year.
Asked whether action has been taken on the list of camps and criminals provided to the Border Guards Bangladesh, Sharma said, "Yes we have given the list. But it is very difficult as the bordering areas are mainly covered by forests. So it is also tough for them too."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- She's a bae! Priyanka Chopra to get special poster for 'Baywatch'
- Foreign Investors buoyed by Indian investment: USIBC to Obama