Arrest of rape accused a team effort: Joint CP
Kolkata: Joint Commissioner of Kolkata Police (Crime) Damayanti Sen, who is widely credited to have busted the Park Street car rape case, on Monday said it was a collective effort and ruled out any division in the police set-up.
"It is entirely a combined effort by the city police and the investigation team under me which made the breakthrough in the gang rape case," Sen told reporters after
a meeting with Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
Sen ruled out any division in the city police as alleged by a section of the media in the wake of different statements issued by the police authorities and said the arrest was the culmination of a concerted effort.
Earlier, the chief minister had claimed that the incident was a `fabricated story` and intended to malign her government and blamed some TV channels for projecting it,
while Sen had said there seemed to be some truth in the statement made by the victim.
Sen said,``Reports in a section of the media are criticising me. They are undermining my professional capabilities. They are totally incorrect and misleading."
She said she sought an appointment with the CM through the Commissioner of Police to clarify her stand.
"Never had I done anything individually and in this case too I am not doing anything individually. My personal life is disturbed with such a personal attack on me".
"Because of this the ongoing investigation is getting hampered, particularly when more arrests are pending", Sen said.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Headquarters) Jawed Shamim, who accompanied Sen, also ruled out groupism in the city police and described the reports as "incorrect and misleading".
He said, "No officer in the city police takes any decision individually. It is an entirely collective decision. Even the CM never interfered in the investigation process".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details