Assembly goes dark during Power Minister`s reply
Kolkata: The West Bengal Assembly on Wednesday plunged into darkness when Power Minister Manish Gupta was replying during Question Hour.
Congress member Asit Mitra asked about the progress of Rajiv Gandhi Gramin Vidyut Yojana in the state when the lights went off as soon as Gupta stood up and started to answer.
Congress members, who entered the House wearing helmets, but removed them on the Speaker`s insistence, then staged a walkout and the Speaker adjourned the House for a brief period.
On congregation after the adjournment, Parliamentary Affairs and Industry Minister Partha Chatterjee said there was something fishy about the incident since the Assembly was given dedicated power supply. He urged the Speaker to order a probe into the matter which was immediately conceded.
Banerjee asked the special secretary of the Assembly to inquire into the incident and submit a report in seven days.
The Congress members again staged a walkout when an adjournment motion on higher power tariff charged by the West Bengal State Electricity Distribution Limited moved by them was not allowed for a discussion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city