Attack on Mamata a blot on India`s democratic values: WB Governor
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan on Wednesday said the "attack" on Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and Finance Minister Amit Mitra in Delhi was "unprecedented" and "a blot on India`s cherished democratic values".
He said the incident deserved to be condemned in the strongest terms and deserved a public apology from the CPI-M politburo.
"The shocking pre-meditated assault on the chief minister, the finance minister and other senior ministers of West Bengal in the national capital is an extremely unfortunate incident and a blot on India`s cherished democratic values," the Governor said in a statement issued on Kolkata.
"This kind of attack on a democratically-elected chief minister, the finance minister and their cabinet colleagues is unprecedented in India`s modern history and is serious enough to warrant a public apology by the politburo of the CPI(Marxist)," he said.
Narayanan said those responsible for the attack and their instigators have forfeited their right to function within a democratic framework.
The Governor also urged the ruling Trinamool Congress as well as others in the state to maintain calm.
Meanwhile, the TMC gave a call for a state-wide protest today against yesterday`s incident in Delhi where Left activists targeted Banerjee and Mitra.
Party general secretary Mukul Roy said their protest would be peaceful and not in line with that of the CPI(M) under any circumstance.
He said party supremo and Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has also appealed for peace in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what