Attack on Mamata a blot on India`s democratic values: WB Governor
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan on Wednesday said the "attack" on Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and Finance Minister Amit Mitra in Delhi was "unprecedented" and "a blot on India`s cherished democratic values".
He said the incident deserved to be condemned in the strongest terms and deserved a public apology from the CPI-M politburo.
"The shocking pre-meditated assault on the chief minister, the finance minister and other senior ministers of West Bengal in the national capital is an extremely unfortunate incident and a blot on India`s cherished democratic values," the Governor said in a statement issued on Kolkata.
"This kind of attack on a democratically-elected chief minister, the finance minister and their cabinet colleagues is unprecedented in India`s modern history and is serious enough to warrant a public apology by the politburo of the CPI(Marxist)," he said.
Narayanan said those responsible for the attack and their instigators have forfeited their right to function within a democratic framework.
The Governor also urged the ruling Trinamool Congress as well as others in the state to maintain calm.
Meanwhile, the TMC gave a call for a state-wide protest today against yesterday`s incident in Delhi where Left activists targeted Banerjee and Mitra.
Party general secretary Mukul Roy said their protest would be peaceful and not in line with that of the CPI(M) under any circumstance.
He said party supremo and Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has also appealed for peace in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi