Attack on Mollah: CPI-M raps Mamata
New Delhi: Terming the attack against its leader Abdur Rezzak Mollah and party activists in Kolkata as "a brutal gang-rape of democracy", CPI-M day accused Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee of directing the state police to arrest the victims instead of the perpetrators of violence.
"Instead of taking any action on those who mounted such a grievous attack, the state police under directions from the Trinamool Congress (TMC) chief are arresting those who are victims of this attack. The perpetrators move around scot-free while the victims are being arrested under false charges," senior CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury said.
Maintaining that "a brutal gang-rape of democracy took place in Bengal on Tuesday", he referred to the `semi-fascist terror` in the early 1970s in which several Left activists were killed and said "those who forget this history and seek a similar repetition, will meet the same fate -- comprehensive political defeat at the hands of the people."
In an editorial in the forthcoming issue of CPI-M organ `People`s Democracy`, Yechury said Mollah has been the target of the TMC since he was the Land Reforms Minister in the previous Left Front government.
The erstwhile government`s implementation of land reforms "has deprived many a former landlord of their illegally held land above the ceiling. These sections have been systematically undoing the gains of the poor farmer and agricultural labour as a result of land reforms."
"Nearly 3,500 such farmers are not been allowed to cultivate their own land amounting to nearly 10,000 acres. 27,283 patta holders and bargadars who were given land legally under the land reforms have been evicted in an area of nearly 10,000 acres," he said.
Asserting that the people of Bengal have "never bowed in the face of such attacks", he said "the politics of violence and terror, the current aggressive phase unleashed to terrorise people into submission in the forthcoming panchayat elections in the state, will be defeated politically in a democratic manner."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'