Attack on Mollah: CPI-M raps Mamata
New Delhi: Terming the attack against its leader Abdur Rezzak Mollah and party activists in Kolkata as "a brutal gang-rape of democracy", CPI-M day accused Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee of directing the state police to arrest the victims instead of the perpetrators of violence.
"Instead of taking any action on those who mounted such a grievous attack, the state police under directions from the Trinamool Congress (TMC) chief are arresting those who are victims of this attack. The perpetrators move around scot-free while the victims are being arrested under false charges," senior CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury said.
Maintaining that "a brutal gang-rape of democracy took place in Bengal on Tuesday", he referred to the `semi-fascist terror` in the early 1970s in which several Left activists were killed and said "those who forget this history and seek a similar repetition, will meet the same fate -- comprehensive political defeat at the hands of the people."
In an editorial in the forthcoming issue of CPI-M organ `People`s Democracy`, Yechury said Mollah has been the target of the TMC since he was the Land Reforms Minister in the previous Left Front government.
The erstwhile government`s implementation of land reforms "has deprived many a former landlord of their illegally held land above the ceiling. These sections have been systematically undoing the gains of the poor farmer and agricultural labour as a result of land reforms."
"Nearly 3,500 such farmers are not been allowed to cultivate their own land amounting to nearly 10,000 acres. 27,283 patta holders and bargadars who were given land legally under the land reforms have been evicted in an area of nearly 10,000 acres," he said.
Asserting that the people of Bengal have "never bowed in the face of such attacks", he said "the politics of violence and terror, the current aggressive phase unleashed to terrorise people into submission in the forthcoming panchayat elections in the state, will be defeated politically in a democratic manner."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway