Attempt to create communal discord will be treated sternly: CM
Sarisha: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday said her government would deal strongly with any attempt to create communal disharmony in the state.
"We have never supported riots or communal disharmony and we will not spare anyone who tries to instigate communal discord in the state," warned Banerjee at a state government programme here in the South 24 Paraganas district with a large presence of members of the minority community.
She said her government was working for the uplift of Muslims from their backwardness and cautioned people against indulging in religious discrimination.
Observing that she had "no tolerance" for rioters, the chief minister said that she was well acquainted with the nature of communal riots as she had roamed the streets that remained deserted when tension broke out after the demolition of the Babri Masjid in 1992.
"Both Hindus and Muslims celebrate pujas together. We will celebrate together and live together peacefully," she said stressing on communal harmony.
Expressing her government`s determination to develop Darjeeling where the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha has launched a statehood agitation, she said, "My aim is to make Darjeeling a model for development as was done in Jangalmahal."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins