Attempt to divide Hindus, Muslims will not be allowed: Mamata
Barasat: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today said her government would not allow any attempt to divide people on the basis of religion and create riots in the state.
"Some are trying to create riots. The state government would not allow to foment riots. We would not allow attempt to divide Hindus and Muslims. There are some bad people who are at work to create disharmony," she said at a government programme.
"Hindus and Muslims are the flowers of same branch and we care for both," Banerjee said at Barasat in North 24-Paraganas district bordering Bangladesh.
She also asked the administration to keep a vigil on smuggling of illegal arms into the state from across the border.
There were cases of smuggling of arms from across the border and it should be stopped, she said.
She also urged parties not to indulge in divisive politics that threatened to destroy peace.
Banerjee inaugurated several projects including the health, drinking water supply, training and marketing centre for self-help groups, fair price medicine shops, providing kisan credit credit card and distribution of cycles to girl students belonging to minority community.
A host of ministers and party MPs and MLAs were present at the programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'