Attempt to divide Hindus, Muslims will not be allowed: Mamata
Barasat: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today said her government would not allow any attempt to divide people on the basis of religion and create riots in the state.
"Some are trying to create riots. The state government would not allow to foment riots. We would not allow attempt to divide Hindus and Muslims. There are some bad people who are at work to create disharmony," she said at a government programme.
"Hindus and Muslims are the flowers of same branch and we care for both," Banerjee said at Barasat in North 24-Paraganas district bordering Bangladesh.
She also asked the administration to keep a vigil on smuggling of illegal arms into the state from across the border.
There were cases of smuggling of arms from across the border and it should be stopped, she said.
She also urged parties not to indulge in divisive politics that threatened to destroy peace.
Banerjee inaugurated several projects including the health, drinking water supply, training and marketing centre for self-help groups, fair price medicine shops, providing kisan credit credit card and distribution of cycles to girl students belonging to minority community.
A host of ministers and party MPs and MLAs were present at the programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened