Auto driver again assaults passenger in Kolkata
Kolkata: In an another instance of errant auto-drivers assaulting passengers in the metropolis, a man was beaten up after an argument over the fare on Saturday, police sources said.
The 35-year-old man, Amol Majumdar, who got down at Jadavpur was assaulted by the auto driver after he demanded a higher fare than the usual rate.
Following a police complaint, the auto was traced and the driver was arrested.
On January 26, a 27-year-old woman was assaulted by an auto-rickshaw driver at New Alipore over change for a Rs 50 currency note.
Earlier on January 16, a woman executive was punched in the face and left bleeding by an auto-rickshaw driver at Park Circus.
Auto-rickshaws, which are contract carriages, run illegally as state carriages on fixed routes without meters and charge fares arbitrarily.
Transport Minister Madan Mitra had said that the government would press non-bailable charges to rein in rogue auto-rickshaw drivers and stop them from overcharging passengers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends