Baichung Bhutia hopeful of getting GJM support
Kolkata: Ace footballer and Trinamool Congress candidate for Darjeeling Lok Sabha seat, Baichung Bhutia on Friday expressed hope about getting support of the Hills party Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) in the elections.
"Given the relationship I have with Bimal Gurung (GJM chief), I am hopeful that I will be able to convince him," he told reporters here after TMC supremo Mamata Banerjee met all party candidates for the coming general elections.
"Trinamool Congress alone can work for the development of the Hills," Bhutia asserted. GJM had yesterday ruled out their support in the elections saying Bhutia hails from Sikkim and not to Darjeeling, triggering a difference between the two parties after the recent bonhomie.
On the question about his origin, Bhutia said it was a point that one or two politicians would raise during the polls.
"There is no difference between Sikkim and Darjeeling. We are all same. Fifty per cent of the people in Darjeeling and Sikkim have relations among them," said Bhutia, a former India football team captain. Backed by the GJM, which is a dominant force in the Hills, BJP leader Jaswant Singh won the Darjeeling Lok Sabha seat in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video