Bail granted to Piyali Sen, denied to Shubhojit
Kolkata: A city court on Friday granted bail to Piyali Sen, wife of multi-crore Saradha scam accused Sudipta Sen, but denied the relief to his son Shubhojit and sent him to judicial custody in a money laundering case against them.
The chief judge of City Sessions Court Mohd Mumtaz Khan granted bail to Piyali on three sureties of Rs 10,000 each.
The judge rejected the bail prayer of Shubhojit and sent him to judicial custody till April 30.
The defence counsels prayed for Piyali`s bail submitting that she had two small children who would be in great difficulty without her.
They also prayed for Shubhojit`s bail on the ground that he also had two children and that his wife was finding it difficult to manage without him.
Counsels for the Enforcement Directorate submitted that they would not oppose the bail prayer of Piyali on humanitarian ground.
They, however, strongly opposed Shubhojit`s prayer claiming that his enlargement on bail would be detrimental to the investigation.
The ED had claimed before the court that thousands of crores of rupees were collected from the market through the schemes run by the Saradha Group, headed by Sudipta Sen.
This money was transferred to different accounts including those of Sen`s second wife Piyali and Shubhojit, Sen`s son from his first wife, apart from buying benami properties.
Sudipta Sen was arrested from Kashmir in April last year and was in the custody of West Bengal Police since then.
Piyali Sen and Shubhojit, were arrested by the sleuths of the central probe agency after they were questioned for close to two hours on alleged dubious transactions that led to the ponzi scam which defrauded lakhs of investors across West Bengal, Odisha and Assam.
The agency recently issued summons to numerous entities involved in the case and attached assets of Rs 140 crore of individuals and firms on money laundering charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared