Bandh cripples life in plains of north Bengal
Siliguri (WB): Life was crippled on the
second day of the 48-hour bandh called by several
anti-Gorkhaland organisations on Tuesday in the foothills of the
Darjeeling Himalayas and Dooars and Terai.
Markets were closed, only skeleton transport services
were operating and office attendance was minimal in response
to the bandh called mainly by Jana Jagaran with moral support
from other similar outfits, the police said.
Mukunda Majumdar, chief of the organisation, claimed
total success for the bandh which, he said, was being observed
to protest against the government`s `move` to include areas of
adivasi-dominated Dooars and Terai under the jurisdiction of
the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration.
The GTA was born yesterday under a treaty signed by the
Gorkha Janmukti Morcha, spearhead of the Gorkhaland agitation,
the West Bengal government and the Centre at picturesque
Pintail village near here.
The Akhil Bharatiya Adivasi Vikas Parishad (ABAVP), the
voice of the adivasis in the Dooars and Terai regions, has
also given its support to the bandh.
ABAVP secretary Birsa Tirkey had said before the start of
the bandh that they were not against the tripartite agreement
but against inclusion of areas of the two regions which the
GJM is pressing for.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17