Bandh evokes mixed response in Cooch Behar
Cooch Behar (WB): A 24-hour shutdown called by
`Aamra Bangalee` in the plains, to protest against the fourth
round of tripartite talks on a separate Gorkhaland state as
demanded by GJM, received a mixed response in Cooch Behar
district on Monday.
No passenger bus of private operators plied but a few
buses of North Bengal State Transport Corporation (NBSTC) were
found plying with fewer passengers.
Roadblocks were put up at different places. Train services however did not face any disruption.
Government offices and banks were open but several schools
were closed. Police said the bandh passed off peacefully.
District Aamra Bangalee secretary Haribala Roy claimed
that the people of the region today came out spontaneously to
make the bandh successful.
Earlier reports said that the bandh`s effect was felt
only in Siliguri.
The shutdown to protest the talks and against the
division of West Bengal has been called by anti-GJM local
outfits Aamra Bangali, Bangla O Bangla Bachao Samiti and Shiv
- Indian Premier League 9: Gujarat Lions' Ravindra Jadeja reprimanded for showing dissent at umpire's decision
- Holiday video alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput’s oceanic vacation
- NBSE 10th & 12th Results 2016: Nagaland.gov.in Board, NBSE HSLC & HSSLC Results 2016 to be declared on May 3
- MUST WATCH: Kargil martyr's daughter's message to India and Pakistan on Facebook - `Enough is enough`
- Hubble spots galaxy hidding in night sky – See pic!