Bandh hits normal life in Siliguri
Siliguri: Normal life was hit on Saturday as a 24-hour bandh called by Bangla-o-Bangla Bhasa Bachaon Samiti began in Siliguri sub-division of Darjeeling district.
Shops, markets, business establishments and educational institutions mostly remained closed and private vehicles were off the roads since 6 am, the police said.
Attendance in government offices has been thin, officials said.
The bandh call was given to protest against the sixth round of tripartite talks between Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM), Centre and the state government in New Delhi today,
president of the samity Mukunda Majumder said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown