‘Banerjee should behave in a more mature manner’
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of the cartoon controversy, Press Council of India Chairman Justice Markandey Katju on Wednesday said the West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee must learn to function in a democratic and more mature manner as she is no more a street fighter.
"I think Mamata Banerjee should have behaved in a more mature manner. She is no more a street fighter, she is the chief minister...The manner in which she has behaved is totally unacceptable," he told a press conference here.
Responding to a question on the arrest of a professor for posting a cartoon of the Trinamool Congress chief on a social networking website, Katju said Banerjee "must learn to be an administrator...Now she is no longer in opposition. She must learn some democratic way of functioning."
He said he is a well-wisher of Banerjee and would like her to do well. "But you must act in a democratic manner which she did not...What`s wrong if somebody publishes a cartoon. So many cartoons you people have published about me."
At the same time, he said the West Bengal CM was a person of integrity, which was an important aspect.
To a poser on the West Bengal government`s decision to ban certain English dailies and high circulation Bengali newspapers from the state-funded and state-aided libraries, he said he had recently raised the issue with Union Minister Sultan Ahmed (Trinamool Congress) and had told him that Banerjee should not take such decisions.
A professor of chemistry of the Jadavpur University was arrested last week along with his neighbour for allegedly posting a cartoon on a popular social networking site involving Banerjee, Railway Minister Mukul Roy and former Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown