Bangla delegation presents Tagore replicas to Varsity
Kolkata: A Bangladeshi delegation, led by Culture and Information Minister Abul Kalam Azad, Wednesday presented replicas of houseboat `Padma` and a smaller boat `Chopola`, associated with poet Rabindranath Tagore, to the Rabindra Bharati University (RBU) here.
"The boats have been presented in memory of Tagore who is greatly revered in India and Bangladesh alike," Azad said at the function here.
The `Padma` boat, along with the `Kuthibari` (zamindari estate) in Silaidaha in Bangladesh`s Kusthia district, is considered to be intrinsic to Tagore?s creative output. The poet is known to have used the houseboat regularly as a retreat in between his managerial duties at the family estate intermittently for a decade from 1890. On this boat, Tagore began his English translation of Gitanjali.
`Chopola` was a dinghy attached to the `Padma`.
The delegation`s visit comes in the wake of the recently-concluded 150th birth anniversary commemoration of Tagore which the two countries jointly celebrated.
Azad also said that India and Bangladesh have agreed to increase mutual cultural exchanges and strengthen institution-to-institution coordination in the fields of conservation and restoration, drama, literature, fine arts and performing arts etc, apart from exchanging exhibitions.
Azad had yesterday met India`s Culture minister Kumari Selja in New Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi