Basu`s death a severe blow to Left: CM Buddhadeb
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister
Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Sunday said in the death of Jyoti Basu,
the country had lost a great leader and the Left and
democratic movement suffered a severe blow.
"He was our guardian," Bhattacharjee said in his
condolence statement in front of reporters at the party
headquarters in Alimuddin Street.
Bhattacharjee said, "We are deeply saddened by the
death of our revered leader Jyoti Basu known as a living
Basu, he said, was respected by all sections of the
people, both home and abroad. "He will be ever remembered for
his contribution to the country".
Bhattacharjee said Basu had been at the forefront of
communist movement since the beginning of 1940. He played a
very significant role in organising the Left and democratic
movement all over the country.
"His role in the formation of Left front government
in West Bengal is well known," the chief minister said.
Basu had led the Left Front government for consecutive
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened