Basu`s death a severe blow to Left: CM Buddhadeb
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister
Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Sunday said in the death of Jyoti Basu,
the country had lost a great leader and the Left and
democratic movement suffered a severe blow.
"He was our guardian," Bhattacharjee said in his
condolence statement in front of reporters at the party
headquarters in Alimuddin Street.
Bhattacharjee said, "We are deeply saddened by the
death of our revered leader Jyoti Basu known as a living
Basu, he said, was respected by all sections of the
people, both home and abroad. "He will be ever remembered for
his contribution to the country".
Bhattacharjee said Basu had been at the forefront of
communist movement since the beginning of 1940. He played a
very significant role in organising the Left and democratic
movement all over the country.
"His role in the formation of Left front government
in West Bengal is well known," the chief minister said.
Basu had led the Left Front government for consecutive
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened