Basu`s death a severe blow to Left: CM Buddhadeb
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister
Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Sunday said in the death of Jyoti Basu,
the country had lost a great leader and the Left and
democratic movement suffered a severe blow.
"He was our guardian," Bhattacharjee said in his
condolence statement in front of reporters at the party
headquarters in Alimuddin Street.
Bhattacharjee said, "We are deeply saddened by the
death of our revered leader Jyoti Basu known as a living
Basu, he said, was respected by all sections of the
people, both home and abroad. "He will be ever remembered for
his contribution to the country".
Bhattacharjee said Basu had been at the forefront of
communist movement since the beginning of 1940. He played a
very significant role in organising the Left and democratic
movement all over the country.
"His role in the formation of Left front government
in West Bengal is well known," the chief minister said.
Basu had led the Left Front government for consecutive
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- Preity Zinta to tie the knot this Valentine?
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'