Basu`s death a severe blow to Left: CM Buddhadeb
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister
Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Sunday said in the death of Jyoti Basu,
the country had lost a great leader and the Left and
democratic movement suffered a severe blow.
"He was our guardian," Bhattacharjee said in his
condolence statement in front of reporters at the party
headquarters in Alimuddin Street.
Bhattacharjee said, "We are deeply saddened by the
death of our revered leader Jyoti Basu known as a living
Basu, he said, was respected by all sections of the
people, both home and abroad. "He will be ever remembered for
his contribution to the country".
Bhattacharjee said Basu had been at the forefront of
communist movement since the beginning of 1940. He played a
very significant role in organising the Left and democratic
movement all over the country.
"His role in the formation of Left front government
in West Bengal is well known," the chief minister said.
Basu had led the Left Front government for consecutive
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days