Basu`s death a severe blow to Left: CM Buddhadeb
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister
Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Sunday said in the death of Jyoti Basu,
the country had lost a great leader and the Left and
democratic movement suffered a severe blow.
"He was our guardian," Bhattacharjee said in his
condolence statement in front of reporters at the party
headquarters in Alimuddin Street.
Bhattacharjee said, "We are deeply saddened by the
death of our revered leader Jyoti Basu known as a living
Basu, he said, was respected by all sections of the
people, both home and abroad. "He will be ever remembered for
his contribution to the country".
Bhattacharjee said Basu had been at the forefront of
communist movement since the beginning of 1940. He played a
very significant role in organising the Left and democratic
movement all over the country.
"His role in the formation of Left front government
in West Bengal is well known," the chief minister said.
Basu had led the Left Front government for consecutive
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani