Basu`s demise: Tripura declares holiday on Tuesday
Agartala: Tripura government has
announced a holiday tomorrow to mourn the death of West
Bengal`s former Chief Minister Jyoti Basu.
A meeting of Council of Ministers, chaired by Chief
Minister Manik Sarkar - a politburo member of CPI-M - held
here today decided to declare a state holiday on Tuesday and
send a condolence message to the bereaved family of Basu.
"Jyoti Basu was one of the outstanding, rarest of the
rare mass leaders of our country and a freedom fighter. He was
one of the founding members of Communist Party of India
(Marxist) and also the symbol of the Left, democratic and
secular movement of the country," the message said.
A nine-member team, led by Sarkar will leave for
Kolkata this evening to take part in the condolence rally.
Basu had very good and hearty relation with the people
of Tripura who rushed to the state whenever the state needed
help, the message added.
He visited Tripura on February 14, 2005 for the last
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?