Basu`s demise: Tripura declares holiday on Tuesday
Agartala: Tripura government has
announced a holiday tomorrow to mourn the death of West
Bengal`s former Chief Minister Jyoti Basu.
A meeting of Council of Ministers, chaired by Chief
Minister Manik Sarkar - a politburo member of CPI-M - held
here today decided to declare a state holiday on Tuesday and
send a condolence message to the bereaved family of Basu.
"Jyoti Basu was one of the outstanding, rarest of the
rare mass leaders of our country and a freedom fighter. He was
one of the founding members of Communist Party of India
(Marxist) and also the symbol of the Left, democratic and
secular movement of the country," the message said.
A nine-member team, led by Sarkar will leave for
Kolkata this evening to take part in the condolence rally.
Basu had very good and hearty relation with the people
of Tripura who rushed to the state whenever the state needed
help, the message added.
He visited Tripura on February 14, 2005 for the last
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof