Basu`s demise: Tripura declares holiday on Tuesday
Agartala: Tripura government has
announced a holiday tomorrow to mourn the death of West
Bengal`s former Chief Minister Jyoti Basu.
A meeting of Council of Ministers, chaired by Chief
Minister Manik Sarkar - a politburo member of CPI-M - held
here today decided to declare a state holiday on Tuesday and
send a condolence message to the bereaved family of Basu.
"Jyoti Basu was one of the outstanding, rarest of the
rare mass leaders of our country and a freedom fighter. He was
one of the founding members of Communist Party of India
(Marxist) and also the symbol of the Left, democratic and
secular movement of the country," the message said.
A nine-member team, led by Sarkar will leave for
Kolkata this evening to take part in the condolence rally.
Basu had very good and hearty relation with the people
of Tripura who rushed to the state whenever the state needed
help, the message added.
He visited Tripura on February 14, 2005 for the last
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez