Basu`s personal belongings to be preserved by hospital
Panchmahal: A three-member team
headed by a member of NCW came here to probe into an incident
where eight women of minority community were assaulted
allegedly by policemen, district officials said.
A team headed by National Commission for Women member
Wansuk Syiem and comprising of advocate Preeti Hingorani and
social activist Trupti Shah from Vadodara, today met the
victims of the incident that took place on December 19, 2009,
"The NCW member had come to inquire into the incident
that took place in December last year where some women had
alleged that police had physically assaulted them," District
Collector Milind Toravane said.
"They met the victims and recorded their statements.
The team also visited the site of incident," he said, adding
that Syiem and other members of the team also had a meeting
with the district police officials inquiring into the case.
District superintendent of police J R Mothalia said
that during the meeting with NCW team he briefed them about
the status of investigation so far.
"We had a meeting with the team and told them about
the investigation done in the matter," Mothalia said.
Chief Judicial Magisterial N V Tadvi of Godhra court
had ordered inquiry into the incident under Section 202 of the
Criminal Procedure Court (CrPC) last month.
While ordering the inquiry, the court had observed
that the medical report and observation by a woman magistrate
of the court show that the eight women have been physically
assaulted in police custody.
The court had further observed in the order that when
the women where assaulted in custody there was no woman
constable or a lady officer present, hence an inquiry under
the CrPC section 202 was required.
The eight women had alleged that the policemen had
come to the Hathila plot, where they lived, after one Saud
Badam accused in cow slaughter case escaped from their
They had further alleged that the policemen assaulted
the men and molested them in front of their families.
After assaulting them police booked the eight women
for rioting, illegal assembly, causing hurt to public
servant, resisting arrest and obstructing arrest of another
Today, social activist Teesta Setalvad of NGO Citizen
for Justice and Peace, was also present when NCW team was
probing the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’