Because of SC ruling panchayat poll will be held: Buddhadeb
Howrah: It is only because of the Supreme Court ruling that panchayat elections is going to take place in West Bengal, veteran CPI-M leader and former Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee said on Sunday.
The ruling Trinamool Congress government was never serious about holding panchayat election and it had hatched a `conspiracy` with that end in view, the CPI-M politburo member told an election rally.
"The state government was adamant on not holding the rural polls by hook or by crook and they had hatched a conspiracy," Bhattacharjee alleged.
Taking a dig at TMC`s reservation on holding panchayat polls during holy Ramzan month, Bhattacharjee alleged that the matter was a ploy on the part of the ruling party to avoid holding the poll.
Bhattacharjee appealed to the voters to forgive Marxists for the mistakes committed during their rule.
The Supreme Court had last week fixed poll dates on July 11, 15, 19, 22 and 25 after dismissing a batch of petitions praying for rescheduling of dates which coincide with the Ramzan month.
"We know very well that we had committed mistakes. We with our heads bowed accept those mistakes. We appeal to the masses that have left us to come back. We won`t commit such mistakes again and we urge our party workers to apologise to the masses for their misbehaviour," Bhattacharjee told the well-attended rally.
The CPI (M) politburo member also lashed out at the TMC regime for not being able to maintain law and order in the state, saying, "During our tenure too incidents of rape had taken place, but we had taken strong action to punish the guilty."
He said that the government`s inability to take proper action in the Kamduni rape-murder incident was encouraging criminals.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?