Begging women, children of Burdwan station to be sent back
Burdwan (WB): The Burdwan district administration has taken up a project to send back to their home districts women and children who had come from outside the state to live and beg at Burdwan railway station.
A panel involving two NGOs -- Childline and Child Welfare Committee, the GRP and the RPF was set up to identify these children and women, District Magistrate Omkar Singh Meena said here today.
Escorted by GRP personnel, they would be sent back to the districts they hailed from after the identification process was over, Meena said.
The project was launched after wife of a high official of the district drew his attention to the condition of those women and children.
"It is not acceptable that when these children should go to school, they beg on the rail station," Meena said.
Childline district coordinator Shubhajit Dey said the identification process started yesterday and 50 were already identified.
They were mostly from Bihar, Jharkhand, Delhi, and other north Indian states, Dey said adding the identification process would be over in seven days.
These 50 women and children had been given shelter, food and garments by the district administration and their medical check up would be done before sending them back, the DM said.
Meena said he asked the superintendent of police to check whether any begging racket was involved in their coming to Burdwan railway station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- NASA's Viking mission data to unfold Mars' mystery
- Kolkata: Boy found killed after party at Amit Chaudhuri's house, author denies knowing him
- 1 killed, dozen hurt in building collapse after cylinder blast
- 'Star Wars Episode VIII' officially wraps production
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 628—Pragya decides to fight back