Beheaded body in Kali temple; not case of human sacrifice: Cops
Bolpur (WB): A nude, beheaded body of an
unidentified man was found today in a Kali temple in Birbhum
district but police said it did not appear to be a case of
human sacrifice even as it arrested a man in this connection.
The head was found at a distance from the torso near the
sacrificial block at the temple at Donaipur village where Kali
puja was held last night, Birbhum Superintendent of Police
Rabindranath Mukherjee said.
The priest, Chandan Mukherjee, who had conducted the puja
till 10:00 pm last night at the temple, found the body when he
entered it this morning and informed police, he said.
Blood was found on the sacrificial block and on the
platform underneath a ceramic portrait of Goddess Kali.
"There were wounds all over the body, pointing to great
brutality during the killing, which would not have been
the case had it been a case of human sacrifice," he said.
A police dog scented blood in a bush about 25 meter
away from the temple, Mukherjee said, adding, the canine then
followed the trail to the house of a villager, Lalchand
Hansda, who was arrested.
"It is possible that the victim was killed elsewhere
and the body placed in the temple to throw investigators off
the scent and make it look like human sacrifice," he said. PTI
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL