Being a politican was not Pranab Mukherjee`s aim in life
Kirnahar (WB): President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday nostalgically recalled the first day he stepped into the Kirnahar Shib Chandra High School, where he studied from Class V to XI and said he had the same fears then that students have.
Answering questions from students at the school from where he matriculated in 1952, Mukherjee who was given a felicitation recalled that the teachers were strict and on his first day he was quite afraid.
The school was also smaller then and had only two buildings, he said.
"Today I am remembering those days," he said.
He was to give replies to 13 questions from students, but could accommodate only 4 because of lack of time.
Pranab Mukherjee, who became President after a political career spanning five decades, today said being an active politician had not been his aim in life and he wanted to be a teacher.
"My father Kamada Kinkar Mukherjee was an active political leader and a freedom fighter. From a young age I was interested in political developments. But I did not want to join active politics, rather I wanted to be a teacher," Mukherjee said.
Mukherjee told the students that those who could not question him, should not feel disheartened and asked them to send the queries to him, which he would answer.
He was also scheduled to meet two or three school friends, who were present, but could not see them.
The President later went around a permanent gallery at the school on his life and times. It came up two years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Rio Olympics 2016: Neymar defends his party boy lifestyle
- Mayawati raises assault on Muslim women by vigilantes in Madhya Pradesh
- Volkswagen kicks off deliveries of its first Made in India car Ameo
- Kalam's death has left irreplaceable void: PM Narendra Modi
- Flood alert sounded in UP districts after rains in Nepal