Bengal BJP ropes in Trinamool MP Derek`s brother Barry
Kolkata: Close on the heels of winning two Lok Sabha seats in West Bengal and increasing its voting percentage, the state BJP wing Wednesday roped in Trinamool Congress MP Derek O`Brien`s brother Barry O`Brien.
Barry a noted quiz master and a motivational speaker, who was a nominated member of the West Bengal Assembly representing the Anglo-Indian community between 2006-11 during the Left Front regime, was known for his close affinity with the CPI(M).
Asked why he joined the BJP at this juncture, Barry said "I have never seen before a Prime Minister like Narendra Modi who had been able to reach out to SAARC leaders, including Pakistan, a day after his swearing-in.
"Soon after assuming office, Modi had formed a SIT on black money, an issue which was much deliberated by others but nothing done," Barry said while explaining his justification in joining the BJP.
Asked to comment on his switching political loyalty, Barry said "I have good friends in all the political parties and nothing more than that."
Besides Barry, others who joined the party were footballer Sasthi Duley and market expert Siddhartha Chatterjee, who played the role of `Topshe` in Satyajit Ray`s films.
State BJP president Rahul Sinha told a press conference that many such eminent persons were joining the party as they felt it was the only one which could turn the fortunes of the people of the country under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal