Bengal chit fund agent commits suicide
Kolkata: An agent of a deposit firm committed suicide in North 24-Parganas district, police said Monday while West Bengal continued to grapple with the fallout of the chit fund scam, involving big companies like Saradha Group.
Twenty-seven-year-old Ujjwal Sammaddar, who worked for Sanmarg, a chit fund company, was found hanging Sunday in his home in Bashirhat in the district.
Sammaddar was being hounded by depositors who have been seeking refund of their money after the Saradha Group went bust in April, police said.
In another incident, a school student who had invested nearly Rs.75,000 in the Saradha Group, is battling for his life in a hospital after he consumed pesticide Sunday.
Class XI student Sahanur Islam, who also worked as a part-time security guard, was under depression ever since the tainted Saradha Group went bust.
"He had been depositing the money in the company for the marriage of his elder sister. After the collapse of the company, he tried to get his investment back, but could not. He had been depressed for a quite a few days and last night (Sunday) he tried to kill himself by consuming pesticide," Islam`s father said.
Already, a number of agents and depositors of Saradha and similar chit fund companies have committed suicide, while offices of a large number of such dubious concerns operating in the state have been attacked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog