Bengal chit fund agent kills herself, toll rises t
Kolkata: The toll in the chit fund bust rose to five in West Bengal on Thursday with an agent of a chit fund company allegedly committing suicide by consuming poison at her home in Murshidabad district`s Salar.
Family members of 28-year-old Pratima Das said she took the extreme step unable to return the money she had collected for the scheme from the depositors.
Das was crestfallen after she returned from a branch office of a chit fund company at Katwa in Burdwan district on finding it was locked.
Over the past few days, she was being constantly threatened by depositors who wanted their money back.
Four agents and distributors of chit fund companies have taken their own lives since the chit fund aided Saradha Group went bust, affecting tens of thousands of investors - mainly from the small towns and villages - who had parked their hard earned money with the company.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan