Bengal Christian schools closed to protest vandalism
Kolkata: All Christian Missionary schools across West Bengal on Thursday remained closed in protest against the ransacking of the Christ Church Girls` High School last week and observed a "black day".
A police picket was posted in front of the Christ Church School at Dum Dum where an 11-year-old student died on September 11 allegedly after being detained inside a toilet of the school by her seniors.
Rev Abir Adhikari, honorary secretary, Diocese of Calcutta, said, "All Christian schools are today closed across the state. The students and gurdians have cooperated with us in oganising the shutdown."
Archbishop Thomas D`Souza, head of the Roman Catholic Church of the Kolkata Diocese and head of West Bengal Association of Christian Schools, on September 16 had announced the shutdown.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!