Bengal Cong denies step-motherly treatment to WB
Kolkata: West Bengal Pradesh Congress Committee on Monday denied estranged ally Mamata Banerjee`s accusation that the Centre was giving a step-motherly treatment to West Bengal.
"The Chief Minister has made wrong allegations against the central (Congress-led UPA) government accusing it of stepmotherly treatment," WBPCC president Pradip Bhattacharya told newspersons here today.
"We condemn this accusation and the truth is that the state government is not being able to properly utilise central funds," he said.
Bhattacharya claimed that all the development funds under the Panchayat raj system were provided by the central government.
While admitting that the Trinamool Congress government was performing "a little better" than the previous Left Front government in the state, he said, "But overall, there has not been much improvement."
Bhattacharya claimed that after the change in 2011, people at all levels expected improvement of condition including the panchayat raj.
"Unfortunately this has not happened," the WBPCC president said while reiterating that the Congress would fight the panchayat elections alone.
"The new government, instead of taking remedial measures for improving the functioning of panchayats, has withdrawn powers from the panchayat functionaries and vested the same with bureaucrats," he said.
Minister of State for Railways Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, who has always been vocal against the Trinamool Congress supremo, said, "One cannot deny that the Congress played an important role in driving out the Left Front from power in West Bengal."
Claiming that the Trinamool Congress would not be able to survive without Congress, Chowdhury said, "Since the day the Trinamool Congress severed alliance with Congress, its death bell has started ringing."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'