Bengal crib deaths: Two union ministers visit Malda hospital
Malda (WB): Deepa Dasmunsi, the bete noire of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, and another union minister from West Bengal on Saturday visited Malda Medical College and Hospital where 37 infants died in six days since Saturday.
Dasmunsi, minister of state for urban development, and Abu Hasem Khan Chowdhury, minister of state for health, said they visited the hospital to review the situation following the crib deaths.
"Several hundred children died at the hospital last year too. Still the situation has not been changed," said the minister who also talked to the hospital authorities.
Khan Chowdhury dismissed the authorities` explanation that they were under tremendous pressure as patients come to them from even neighbouring districts and states.
"It is normal that patients will come to a medical college hospital even from outside. But the way it is being raised as an excuse is not right," he told reporters.
Dasmunsi said they were not being informed of anything. "We come to know of the situation from the media."
Earlier at a press meet, she criticised the Mamata Banerjee government saying it should examine why crib deaths were recurring in the Malda hospital.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee holds the health portfolio.
Various central government health schemes were not reaching the people, she said.
Khan Chowdhury said he would discuss with Dasmunsi and take a decision on sending an expert team of the union government to the hospital.
Though a Health Task Force had claimed the situation of crib deaths in the Malda hospital was not as alarming as it was made out in the media, state Governor M K Narayanan expressed concern over the deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez