Bengal failed to utilise central funds for Muslims: Trinamool
Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress on Sunday said that the West Bengal government had failed to utilise central funds for development in 12 Muslim-concentrated districts and the community remained the most deprived during the Left rule in the state.
"The state government has failed to utilise the funds allocated by the Centre for development work in the 12 districts identified as Muslim-concentrated," Trinamool Congress chief whip in the Lok Sabha Sudip Bandopadhyay said.
Muslims in West Bengal constitute about 26 per cent of the community`s population in the country.
Bandopadhyay said that according to the Sachar Committee report, Muslims in the state were the worst off and had remained the most deprived during the Left rule.
"To hide this fact, CPI(M) Rajya Sabha MP Brinda Karat was writing to the Prime Minister and also meeting the Imam of the Jama Masjid in Delhi. This is a futile attempt aimed at gaining the confidence of Muslims," Bandopadhyay said.
Stating that the state government had dropped the word `madrasa` from the name of the Kolkata Alia University which was formed from the erstwhile Kolkata Madrasa, Bandopadhyay demanded that it be named Kolkata Madrasa Alia University.
He appealed to the Centre to take steps to provide salaries at government scales to the Imams of the mosques across the country.
Trinamool Congress Minority Cell chairman Idris Ali said that the party would launch a campaign to demand a hike in the salaries of the Imams and Muezzins of the mosques.
According to Ali, nearly 500 Forward Bloc supporters joined the Trinamool Congress at the function. They were received into the party by Bandopadhyay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon