Bengal failed to utilise central funds for Muslims: Trinamool
Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress on Sunday said that the West Bengal government had failed to utilise central funds for development in 12 Muslim-concentrated districts and the community remained the most deprived during the Left rule in the state.
"The state government has failed to utilise the funds allocated by the Centre for development work in the 12 districts identified as Muslim-concentrated," Trinamool Congress chief whip in the Lok Sabha Sudip Bandopadhyay said.
Muslims in West Bengal constitute about 26 per cent of the community`s population in the country.
Bandopadhyay said that according to the Sachar Committee report, Muslims in the state were the worst off and had remained the most deprived during the Left rule.
"To hide this fact, CPI(M) Rajya Sabha MP Brinda Karat was writing to the Prime Minister and also meeting the Imam of the Jama Masjid in Delhi. This is a futile attempt aimed at gaining the confidence of Muslims," Bandopadhyay said.
Stating that the state government had dropped the word `madrasa` from the name of the Kolkata Alia University which was formed from the erstwhile Kolkata Madrasa, Bandopadhyay demanded that it be named Kolkata Madrasa Alia University.
He appealed to the Centre to take steps to provide salaries at government scales to the Imams of the mosques across the country.
Trinamool Congress Minority Cell chairman Idris Ali said that the party would launch a campaign to demand a hike in the salaries of the Imams and Muezzins of the mosques.
According to Ali, nearly 500 Forward Bloc supporters joined the Trinamool Congress at the function. They were received into the party by Bandopadhyay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- With 31% jump, HDFC's Aditya Puri top gainer in salary hike among private bank chiefs
- Team India to attend preparatory camp under new coach Anil Kumble!
- Like seriously! Marijuana is legal in these 8 countries
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why