Bengal government protecting offenders: Buddhadeb
Kolkata: CPI(M) politburo member Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Saturday accused the Trinamool Congress government of protecting offenders instead of the women victims of rape and atrocities.
"What is going on..this government is protecting offenders and harassing the victims," Bhattacharjee told a party rally at Budge Budge.
He said that after the TMC government came to power his party initially was a victim of attacks, but now common people and women were being attacked.
"Police do not want to touch them and they are getting political shelter," Bhattacharjee said.
He said that earlier the state government tried to suppress incidents of atrocities on women alleging that it was orchestrated by opposition parties.
"But, this government is trying to suppress justice," he alleged.
Admitting that there were such incidents during the erstwhile Left Front regime, he said "But our mentality was different, we were able to punish offenders of Bantala-Dhantala who are still in jail and will continue to be.
But, this government is unable to punish culprits, he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH