Bengal government transfers top cop for arresting Malda DM
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Sunday transferred a top cop who had arrested the District Magistrate of Malda on charges of misappropriation of funds.
The District Magistrate of Malda Kiran Kumar was arrested in Siliguri yesterday on alleged charges of graft during his last tenure as the CEO of Siliguri Jalpaiguri Development Authority (SJDA).
Godala Kiran Kumar was summoned yesterday to Siliguri by the police to question him on misappropriation of funds in various development works including sewerage, tender works and supply of CCTV cameras for SJDA during his tenure as CEO, ex- Siliguri police commissioner K Jayaraman had informed.
According to reports, the Mamata government today came under fire because of transferring the IPS officer K Jayaraman.
The DM was subsequently arrested by the police yesterday and was produced in a fast track court here which remanded him to four days of police custody.
Meanwhile, Jayaraman today accepted that the Malda DM had been arrested but he refused to comment on the issue of his own transfer.
"Yes, he has been arrested. I cannot tell you more," Jayaraman said.
Meanwhile, the arrested District Magistrate was granted conditional bail by a local court here.
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate, Siliguri, AHM Rahman granted bail to the IAS officer on a surety of Rs 5,000.
Kumar was directed by the court to provide all assistance to the investigators and the administration in connection with the case and to deposit his passport with the court till further orders.
The officer was also directed to be present in the court on January 14, 2014.
The bail was granted after the prosecution said it did not require Kumar`s custody at present.
The District Magistrate was issued summons for questioning on alleged misappropriation of development funds, including sewerage, tender work and supply of CCTV cameras when he was CEO of Siliguri Jalpaiguri Development Authority (SJDA) between 2012-13 and subsequently arrested yesterday.
The arrest led to high drama in the administrative circles of the state with Chief Secretary Sanjay Mitra saying Siliguri Police Commissioner K Jayaraman had exceeded his brief by arresting Kumar as he neither informed the state government nor sought its approval.
Jayaraman was asked to relinquish charge as Siliguri police commissioner and report back to Kolkata.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Hero launches 17 cycles, price starts Rs 7,000
- Full List: 10 wealthiest countries in the world; India at 7th place
- Father arrested for sexually abusing 2 minor girls
- New global migration map may help fight malaria
- 7th CPC: Committee of Secretaries on Allowances to meet on September 1; invites employees' unions for talks