Bengal govt employees to get 10% more DA
Kolkata: The cash-strapped West Bengal government will give a fresh installment of ten percent of dearness allowance arrears to its employees from January next year, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced here Wednesday.
"This will entail an additional expenditure of Rs.250 crore per month or Rs.3,000 crore annually," Banerjee told media persons at the state secretariat, Writers` Buildings.
Describing it as a "New Year gift" to the state government employees, she regretted that they were now lagging behind their counterparts in the central government by 23 percent as far as DA was concerned.
"Our financial position, thanks to the previous (Left Front) government, is precarious. It has left us burdened with a debt of Rs.2.03 lakh crore. But we will pay all the arrear DAs slowly," said the Chief Minister.
In August this year, the new Trinamool Congress-Congress government of Banerjee had announced a three-month freeze on DA payment, citing financial constraints.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city