Bengal govt issues modified notification for panchayat polls
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Tuesday issued a modified notification of the panchayat elections in the state after the Supreme Court refused to reschedule the dates of the polls which are to be conducted in five phases beginning from July 11.
"The modification of the notification of the panchayat elections has been sent to the State Election Commission on the basis of rescheduled five-phase rural poll from July 11 to 25 soon after receiving the copy of the Supreme Court order," Panchayat Minister Subrata Mukherjee told reporters.
The apex court asked the West Bengal government to issue notification on the elections in pursuance to its order.
"We are now ready for the elections. Henceforth, the subsequent formalities will be done by the SEC to conduct the poll freely and fairly," Law Minister Chandrima Bhattacharya said.
The panchayat elections would be held in five phases on July 11, 15, 19, 22 and 25 as per the order of the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?