Bengal govt issues modified notification for panchayat polls
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Tuesday issued a modified notification of the panchayat elections in the state after the Supreme Court refused to reschedule the dates of the polls which are to be conducted in five phases beginning from July 11.
"The modification of the notification of the panchayat elections has been sent to the State Election Commission on the basis of rescheduled five-phase rural poll from July 11 to 25 soon after receiving the copy of the Supreme Court order," Panchayat Minister Subrata Mukherjee told reporters.
The apex court asked the West Bengal government to issue notification on the elections in pursuance to its order.
"We are now ready for the elections. Henceforth, the subsequent formalities will be done by the SEC to conduct the poll freely and fairly," Law Minister Chandrima Bhattacharya said.
The panchayat elections would be held in five phases on July 11, 15, 19, 22 and 25 as per the order of the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31