Bengal govt issues modified notification for panchayat polls
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Tuesday issued a modified notification of the panchayat elections in the state after the Supreme Court refused to reschedule the dates of the polls which are to be conducted in five phases beginning from July 11.
"The modification of the notification of the panchayat elections has been sent to the State Election Commission on the basis of rescheduled five-phase rural poll from July 11 to 25 soon after receiving the copy of the Supreme Court order," Panchayat Minister Subrata Mukherjee told reporters.
The apex court asked the West Bengal government to issue notification on the elections in pursuance to its order.
"We are now ready for the elections. Henceforth, the subsequent formalities will be done by the SEC to conduct the poll freely and fairly," Law Minister Chandrima Bhattacharya said.
The panchayat elections would be held in five phases on July 11, 15, 19, 22 and 25 as per the order of the Supreme Court.
- AMAZING! What happened when some Indians were asked to tear up Tricolour for Rs 1000 - WATCH
- Shivil Kaushik: Six interesting facts you need to know about Gujarat Lions' left-arm mystery spinner
- Iran's new parliament has more women than clerics
- RBI chief blames ‘overall economic downturn’ for bad loan issue as PAC asks to explain ‘real causes’
- Raj Thackeray calls Congress government better than BJP's in Maharashtra