Bengal govt issues modified notification for panchayat polls
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Tuesday issued a modified notification of the panchayat elections in the state after the Supreme Court refused to reschedule the dates of the polls which are to be conducted in five phases beginning from July 11.
"The modification of the notification of the panchayat elections has been sent to the State Election Commission on the basis of rescheduled five-phase rural poll from July 11 to 25 soon after receiving the copy of the Supreme Court order," Panchayat Minister Subrata Mukherjee told reporters.
The apex court asked the West Bengal government to issue notification on the elections in pursuance to its order.
"We are now ready for the elections. Henceforth, the subsequent formalities will be done by the SEC to conduct the poll freely and fairly," Law Minister Chandrima Bhattacharya said.
The panchayat elections would be held in five phases on July 11, 15, 19, 22 and 25 as per the order of the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre