Bengal has moved from one dictatorship to another: Jairam
Matigara: Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh on Sunday said that with the coming of the Mamata Banerjee government, West Bengal has moved from one dictatorship to another.
"It is the mistake of the people that the state has moved from one dictatorship ("tanashahi") by the Left Front to another dictatorship by the Trinamool Congress," Ramesh told Congress party workers here in Siliguri subdivision of Darjeeling district.
Criticising the West Bengal government for the stalemate over the Panchayat elections, he alleged that the Trinamool was scared of the outcome of the polls and therefore does not want the elections to take place.
"They are scared of the opposition as well as the fractions within the party. So they don`t want elections," he said.
The rural development minister warned that if the panchayat polls are not held then the state will stop receiving funds under the MNREGA scheme.
"If there is no elections there will be no money," Ramesh said while raising questions over the usage of Rs 4,000 crore given by the Centre to the state under the MNREGA scheme in 2012-13.
"People need to ask this to the government," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say