Bengal House adopts resolution congratulating Sachin Tendulkar
Kolkata: A resolution congratulating batting legend Sachin Tendulkar, who recently retired after playing his 200th Test match, was adopted in the West Bengal Assembly on Tuesday.
The resolution would be sent to the batting icon, Assembly sources said.
Moved by the state`s Parliamentary Affairs Minister Partha Chatterjee, the resolution was supported by the members of all political parties.
While moving the resolution, Chatterjee noted that the state government had made an elaborate plan to felicitate the cricketer on the final day of his 199th Test match at the Eden Gardens, but it was not carried out properly as the match ended on the third day.
Still, on the third day itself Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee went to the ground and congratulated Tendulkar, he recalled.
He disclosed that the Chief Minister had suggested Tendulkar`s name for the highest civilian award Bharat Ratna and that the resolution was her idea.
The Opposition in the House lauded the government initiative and participated in a discussion on the legend`s 24-year-long career. Congress member Asit Mitra, DSP member Prabodh Sinha and CPI(M) member Anisur Rahaman spoke in connection with this.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter